Wednesday, May 16, 2012

What do you want for dinner?

Every time I get asked this question my mind goes blank. My thoughts jumble up in my head, I get a slight feeling of anxiety until I stop thinking about it. I have had this problem for a long time. If I know I have to figure out what is for dinner I spend hours thinking about it; what we have on hand, what I need to buy, how long ago we had something... I have to focus and concentrate on just that for a while, I cannot just jump back with an answer to "what do you want for dinner" unless I already had a plan in place. Especially if I am at work or driving, I am already using too many brain cells with those activities alone. What further complicates the matter is if I do have something in mind and give my answer, it is usually shot down.
I had no idea why I had this problem until yesterday. I was talking with my sister in law, Christina, to come up with ways to prevent this from happening when I realized that I have been asked this question every day of my life since I was a little girl. My mother worked full time so when she was on her way home she would call me and ask what I wanted for dinner. The answer to this question had to be some fast food restaurant. I remember in high school I was so sick of fast food that I often answered this question by stating food, which was quickly countered with what kind of food.
That was my Ah ha moment. This is also one of the reasons I am such a stickler with having a home cooked meal for Kaitlyn. Don't get me wrong, we do have fast food every once in a while, I am not 100% against it. I am on a mission to not ask my kid what she wants for dinner unless it is a special occasion. I don't want her to have anxiety every time she is asked what she wants for dinner.
Now that I know where my reaction to this question came from the next step is figuring out how to "fix" it. It does not help that I am not a well versed cook. I have to look up recipes and to do that you need some sort of idea what you want to cook. I think the "fix" is not going to happen any time soon.
Conclusion, if you are going to ask me what is for dinner be prepared to get food as the answer.



1 comment:

  1. I have the same anxiety! I end up having ceral as my back up, but that's not going to work for the baby when she arrives. So, I'm going to try to pick out a handful of recipes on Sunday with Jayson and grocery shop for those items. That way I have only a handful of options to choose from when I get home and I won't feel as overwhelmed. Especially when I'm so tried after work.

    ReplyDelete